A new study presented at the 26th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery confirms that laparoscopic gastric banding surgery (LAGB) results in sustained weight loss as well as an 83% improvement or remission of Type 2 diabetes.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE / PRURGENT
Toronto, Ontario, July, 2009 – Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgery (LAGB) not only results in sustained weight loss for morbidly obese patients, but it also provides an improvement or remission of Type 2 diabetes in 83% of the patients. This news, the results of a new study, was presented at the 26th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). The event was held in Dallas, Texas, and Slimband was there to learn first-hand about the ground breaking study.
To date, this is the largest long-term study on the impact of gastric banding on diabetes. This study strongly suggests that there is a definite connection between diabetes and morbid obesity. The study noted that the patients who achieved and maintained a significant weight loss also realized the greatest remission of diabetes in a shorter time frame.
The study included 95 participants who ranged in age prior to surgery from 21 to 68 years, with an average BMI (Body Mass Index) of 46. Researchers from New York University (NYU) Medical Center conducted the study from January 2002 through January 2004. Approximately 88% of the patients were taking oral medications to control their diabetes and about 15% were using insulin. On average, the patients had been diagnosed with diabetes about 6 ˝ years before surgery.
As routine follow up to the surgery, the patients’ weight was monitored and blood tests were done. During the first year, researchers followed each patient on a monthly basis, and during the second year the follow-ups were every three months. After that, the follow-ups were annual unless more frequent visits were needed.
At the end of the five-year follow-up period the data clearly showed that in about 40% of patients, diabetes was in remission and in about 43% it was improved, which resulted in a combined improvement/remission rate of 83%.
The incidence of diabetes and obesity is on the rise and that has resulted in several studies for effective methods for sustaining weight loss and for diabetes remission. Bariatric surgery has been shown to be an excellent option for the treatment of morbid obesity as well as a way to improve Type 2 diabetes.
ASMBS is a non-profit organization that works to progressively move forward in the science of gastric banding surgery. This includes educating both medical professionals and the lay public about gastric banding surgery as the treatment of choice for morbid obesity. The ASMBS also educates regarding the risks and benefits of the surgery.
For additional information about laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgery, visit http://www.slimband.com
About Slimband: Slimband® is one of the largest and most respected Toronto Weight Loss Surgery and treatment centers in Canada. Slimband® specializes in reversible laparoscopic weight loss surgery with a unique aftercare program that includes nutritional counseling, coaching, and fitness programs and fills adjustments. Clients benefit not only from safe, fast weight loss but also experience increased energy levels and the control or elimination of weight-aggravated conditions like heart disease, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes. Slimband® has helped more than 3,000 patients fulfill their dreams of looking and feeling their best.
64 Prince Arthur Avenue